Official Rules of Gaga (Israeli Dodgeball) at Main Line
- One person who is not a player is designated as the
referee. The referee is the sole authority during
- The referee begins play only after all players are
standing in the gaga court and have indicated that they are ready
to start the game.
- One player tosses the ball up in the air. Players
yell "ga" on the first bounce and "ga" again on the second bounce,
and the ball is then in play.
- Players hit the ball with their hands only, and may
not carry or throw the ball: it must be punched with open hand or
- If the ball contacts a player or a player's clothing
below the waist, that player is eliminated.
- If the ball goes out of the gaga court, the last
player to touch the ball is eliminated.
- If a player catches the ball before it bounces, the
player who had the last contact with the ball is
- Once the player hits the ball, he or she must wait
until the ball touches someone else before hitting it again (no
- If there are only two players remaining, a player may
hit the ball up to 3 times in a row. The ball is "rejuvenated" by
contact with the wall, and the hit count resets.
- Teaming, or intentional passing of the ball to other
players, is allowed only at the discretion of the referee and must
be specified in advance of play.
The purpose of the Gaga court at MLUC is to encourage
friendship, fun, fair play, and finesse, consistent with the UU goals
of "development of a positive sense of self" and "respect and
responsibility toward all people." -- Reverend Virginia
click here to return to CPAC